Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Kiss me, I'm Irish!

Saturday I went to the St. Patrick's day parade. This is one of my two favorite parades all year. My friends came to pick Laveau and I up about an hour before it started. We like to get good seats, find beverage (usually of the malted-grain variety) and scope out the men in kilts. Ok, truth be told; I like men in kilts-- my friend enjoys describing them to me. So we are both happy.
Only my friend's husband decided that he wanted to park in a more residential area and not in an area where all the action was taking place. So after setting up our camp chairs, my friend, Laveau and I headed out for beer and men in kilts, hopefully in equal measure.

We soon met up with some people who were friends with my friend and they offered us some beer. We stood around on the sidewalk and drank and talked. We eventually took off, beer in hand, to fulfill the other half of our mission; the finding of men in kilts.

Let me just stop and say here what a fabulous job Laveau did. She followed my friend, and wove me through crowds of people, children on their ladders, brass bands lining up for the parade and barricades. People called to her, patted her head as she walked by and she just ignored everything.
Eventually we got to the parade staging area and found some men in kilts, with bagpipes no less. There must be some obscure law of physics which states that that a man's sex appeal increases about a hundred-fold if he is wearing a kilt and playing a bagpipe. Or maybe I was a Scottish Highlander in a previous life. Either way, I think kilts and bagpipes should come back into style.

We needed more beer before the parade began, so it was off to a cafe for a bottle of Abita and a little sit down before we attempted the trek back up to where my friend's husband was sitting with our camp chairs.
We sat and chatted for a while, then took our beers and began walking the several blocks back to our spot.

We made it there in time for me to get Laveau settled between our two chairs and for me to get a good standing spot behind the barricade.
Then it started. Floats and marching clubs, and school children. People threw cabbages, carrots, candy, and mardi gras beads. Oh and underwear. I was given a pair of bright green bikini panties complete with shamrock. I immediately stuck them on Laveau's head because they would look much better on her than on me, that is for sure. Then I was gifted with a green lace garter which went on Laveau's neck, along with the shamrock beads. I also got lots of paper flowers and drunken smooches from the marchers, some of them even had kilts on. Do you see why I like this parade now?

Through it all, Laveau lay down and watched everything. She actually really enjoys watching parades.
When it was done, a loose dog came running up to her barking. I was nervous, but immediately dropped the harness handle and lengthened the leash. The other dog immediately calmed down and began greeting Laveau who greeted back with enthusiasm.

After that, we got in the car and headed home.
I still have to use the cabbage in my fridge.

1 comment:

  1. LMAO! Underwear on her head. That is great.
    I would have to say that I would like that parade as well...mmmmmm kilts. :)

    ReplyDelete