Sunday, December 4, 2011

Festive Friday

Friday was the annual Holiday Party for work. For the past three or so years, they have chosen to hold it at this buffet place. Why upper management would pick a buffet to be the party place for a bunch of blind people is beyond me, but whatever. I asked my SSP to come with me and then do some holiday shopping afterward.

We arrived a bit late and found a table with my friend Laura, and another Deafblind coworker and his interpreter. We all chatted and hung out until the festivities started. We always have to pray before we eat-- a practice that makes me extremely uncomfortable. Religion, like politics, are things that should stay out of the workplace. Along with the prayer, there was some rambling about how "Jesus is the reason for the season." I'm sure the Jews and Pagans, and others in the audience didn't quite agree with that statement.

After all of that was finished it was time to go to the buffet. The line was in a very narrow space, and I was squeezed in with my SSP and Laveau. I wasn't very hungry, so got a little food and then went back to my seat. I always feel like I have to eat at rapid speed at this thing if I want to be a part of any lunch conversation. I have yet to grow that extra set of arms which will allow me to eat and talk at the same time. After the meal, we received hats with the number of years we've worked there printed on the back. We also got an end of year gift check which will come in handy.

After the festivities, my SSP and I went shopping. I can't list the places where we went, because I wouldn't want to give anything away. We eventually made our way to our vets to get flea and hart-worm medication for the girls, and to snag Laveau's Proin, which is the medication she takes for spay incontinence. Laveau got weighed and she's 60 lbs. She could gain a couple of pounds and still be fine. At 26 inches tall, her height is mostly leg, but I've noticed her looking a bit ribbie lately, so have taken to upping her food amounts. She is quite thrilled about this.

That night, I gave Gracy back to my friend across the river. We went to dinner first and since I still wasn't hungry, I mostly sat around and chatted which was nice. All in all, it was a pretty busy day!

1 comment:

  1. That whole Jesus is the reason for the season thing just makes me want to hurl! Seriously! And really, it's all a bunch of Christian propaganda created by people who had issue with the fact that the pagans back in the day were having their own celebrations around winter solstice; which, is where we got so many of the customs that even Christians embrace around "christmas." I always want to challenge Christians on whether or not they know why they believe what they believe, or are they simply being good little religious robots, and it always amazes me that they lack zero knowledge of the tru historical perspective. Their beloved so-called Lord and Savior, Jesus, (supposedly the reason for the season,) (not,) was actually born in Spring. Praying like that when it's a public thing makes me crazy! It drives me nuts when people just assume that everyone will be ok with it with no thought for the beliefs of those around them. Grr!

    ReplyDelete